My Gift (presented without music)



When I was young, I secretly wrote some poetry. It was possibly quite bad, and it’s thankfully been lost to the ages.

Cancer awakes different parts of a person. I now shower at night before bed. I get out of bed earlier. I drink alcohol less. I’m much less political. This blog proves I am more introspective, and I guess a side effect of that is writing poetry again.

A recent vacation to Hawaii gave me time to consider a few things, including 1. I need to eat more pineapple, and 2. I need to write more. Just put thoughts into the computer, whether they are published or not. Staring at the ocean has always made me pensive. It settles my soul.

So here I am. A man and his first poem to be shared publically, baring myself like a streaker down Main Street. Just go for it, and ignore the people who point and laugh.

Full discloser: This poem was a failed attempt to write music lyrics, but it’s my story so it should be sung by me. And no one wants that. It can only make people side with cancer in this fight.

My wife politely says I have a good voice as I sing in the shower or the car. She’s a nice person that way. I hear music just well enough to recognize failed notes and awful pitch. I claim both in my singing arsenal.

So, I am posting “My Gift” here, without music, which is probably best. I told my buddies in Nashville if they ever want to give it a crack, go for it, but I bet they’re scared of making a Grammy speech. That’s probably the reason they passed.

MY GIFT

It is not time to lay down this head
So haunt me, haunt me thoughts unsaid
Unexpectedly pushing me to the edge
Fighting back as I feel my ledge

I shall not cower from this sudden slide
So fight me, fight me what lingers inside
I accept the reading of my written fate
Show me grace before it's too late

The demon's arrival changes it all
So teach me, teach me so I won’t fall
My gift, this gift is the devil's plan
Cancer’s call made me a better man

It came to me a deceiver and thief
So push me, push me toward my peace
It's no surrender and forward we go
Tell me my odds and I still say no

Defeat the ragged path along my way
So give me, give me strength for today
Witness me as I drop to a knee
I accept this new life that I now see

The demon's arrival changes it all
So teach me, teach me so I won’t fall
My gift, this gift is the devil's plan
Cancer’s call made me a better man

This day, every day is a victory to claim
So light me, light me a burning flame
Cancer came as an unwelcomed gift
And thanks to it I'm no longer adrift

The demon arrived to take me away
But it taught me to fight every day
Haunt me, push me, set aside my shame
Cancer called and my gift is its name

Comments

  1. Thank you, Fitz, for sharing your poetry! Stay tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fitz, Keep writing! The impact of your words is important. Your sharing is poignant, and beckons the reader to be open, to notice and cherish life. You have a gift. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment